Dates: Monday 6th September – Friday 17th September
Format: Part time. 10 x half days over 2 weeks
Times: 1-4pm AEST, Monday – Friday
Format: Fully online via live Zoom sessions and an online Classroom platform.
To enroll: Fill out this Google form
ABOUT THE COURSE
This course aims to give participants an understanding of adaptive management tools through the application of the internationally recognized Conservation Standards.
The course explores the theory and practice of adaptive management using the Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage Area as a case study with approaches that can be applied to a wide range of cultures and situations.
Participants will work in small teams to progress through an adaptive planning, monitoring and management loop, including integrating field-monitoring data into a decision-making framework. Management issues will be explored to reveal underlying problems, to find ways of working with complex and seemingly intractable issues such as climate change.
- Methods and approaches to collecting, managing, and interpreting data that are necessary to understand dynamic changes.
- A decision-making framework for monitoring and management that is suitable for varying cultures and situations.
- Developing capacity to navigate complexity and uncertainty.
- Challenging our assumptions and identifying non-obvious barriers to change.
- Team-building and networking including regional and cross-organisational collaboration.
- Recognising the interdependence of nature and culture.
This course addresses the need for highly skilled professionals in protected area management and natural resource conservation.
The knowledge and practical skills gained are readily implemented and applicable for use in conservation by governments, non-government, private landholders and Indigenous communities. The adaptive management approach is applicable to conservation projects and property planning at any scale.
By the end of the course, participants will know how to design and implement an ecological monitoring program and integrate the data into a decision-making framework for adaptive management.
To confirm your intention to enroll in this course starting online in September 2021, fill out this Google form